Re: Credential retrieval failed

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:50:24 +0200

zino wrote:
> On Sep 17, 12:53 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net>
> wrote:

>> On Sep 17, 10:30 am, zino <antony6..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> on Oracle 10g. from the command line, if I type "connect myusername/
>>> mypassword_at_orcl", oracle accept my credentiels and let me in. Now, in
>>> the same session, if I retype the same previously command but with an
>>> inccorect password (connect myusername/myWRONGpassword_at_orcl), Oracle
>>> will kick me out as expected with the message : "Warning: you are no
>>> longer connected to Oracle".
>>> Now if I try to reconnect using the correct credntiels as typed
>>> initially,  oracle don't let me log in and keep displaying "Credential
>>> retrieval failed", unless I close the window and reopen it
>>> and .... .. .
>>> I'm trying to learn Oracle and definitily I'm missing something here.
>>> thanks for help.
>> Exactly which version of Oracle is this, on which operating system?
>> '10g' doesn't say much; report all FOUR numbers of the database
>> release.
>>
>> David Fitzjarrell

> below is the database version displayed when I log in.
> "
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
> "
>
> the database server is installed on Windows 2003 server, and I'm
> trying to connect from Windows XP professional machine.
>
> the below entry is from the "tnsnames.ora" file to connect to the
> server :
>
> dmprodev=
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = DMPRODEV)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
> )
> )
>

> And the error when I try to reconnect :
>
> SQL> connect thag/thag_at_dmprodev
> ERROR:
> ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed
>
> Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
>

> it's the same user name and password I used when I first connect to
> oracle either from window prompt or SqlPlus.
>
> thanks

- From what you posted, connect myusername/mypassword_at_orcl never worked.

Could you post a screen scrape of your actual session, along with tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora from the *client* ? Also, please post if any other files are in the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin directory, and if so, which.

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...