Re: SRDF and oracle

From: KCS <KCS_at_hotmail.it>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:35:45 +0200

"hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:1189960777.836533.131830_at_g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 16, 9:42 am, "KCS" <K..._at_hotmail.it> wrote:
> > Did somebody used the EMC technology called "SRDF" (SRDF/A) with oracle
for
> > a disaster recovery site ?
> >
> > Let me know. From metalink the not synchronous modes does not seem to be
> > supported.
> >
> > Bye
>
> Oracle supports SRDF both synchronous and asynchronous ...
>
> Sites using synchronous are "up to date" with all changes from the
> sending system. Where do you see the impact the most on an oracle
> system?
>
> Well it's in an event "log file synch". The impact of running in
> synchronous mode can be considerable ...
>
> In asynch mode the EMC syms ( or DMXs or clarions whatever ) keep
> track of things that have been changed but not yet propagated. They
> do preserve the order in which tracks that have been changed are sent
> across ... preserving the order is the crucial part that makes it a
> supported technology from the oracle side.
>
> In asynch mode you risk losing some small amount of things ( depending
> on available bandwidth and how fast redo log entries are being
> generated ) in a DR mode so this needs to be negotiated and
> understood.

The question is:
-EMC told us what you have just said, it works, the order in writing is respected, ecc.
-Oracle says (contacted): we cant certificate asinchronous. (we have RAC an ASM on source).
I think they do not want to have the responsabiluty and want us to use Dataguard.

We do not want to find ourself in troble with the EMC solution but no oracle support.
What do you think about ?
Thanx Received on Sun Sep 16 2007 - 16:35:45 CDT