Re: double-quoting table names in TOAD - restart - sorry!

From: ken quirici <ken.quirici_at_excite.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:23:27 -0700

On Sep 16, 7:56 am, William Robertson <williamr2..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 6:31 pm, ken quirici <ken.quir..._at_excite.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I seem to have deleted my original post - twice! So
> > I'm going to start over - as before, database entity
> > names are fictitious.
>
> > I was in TOAD logged in to schema1 (Oracle 9i).
> > I issued the following select statement from the
> > TOAD editor:
>
> > select count(*) from schema2.table_a;
>
> > I got an 'invalid or missing table' message.
>
> > After checking the online docs for Oracle 9i,
> > I asked a neighboring dba - he entered and
> > ran
>
> > select count(*) from schema2."table_a"
>
> > and it ran successfully.
>
> > Why does the table-name in schema2 need
> > to be double-quoted when referenced from
> > schema1?
>
> > Since the dba's query was successful, clearly
> > schema1 had access to table_a in schema2.
> > (I had been told this before I ran the query anyway).
>
> > Thanks for all your replies up til now, and
> > your corrections.
>
> > However I don't believe anyone has answered my
> > question yet.
>
> > Thanks again for your help.
>
> > Ken Quirici
>
> The table must have been created using a double-quoted name.
>
> By default, case-insensitivity is achieved by names being
> automatically converted to uppercase on creation and during query
> parsing, but you can override that using double-quotes.

Yes, I believe that. As I said, I've never encountered this situation before. The only time I've seen quoted table and column names was in Powerbuilder, many years ago, where if you displayed the SQL statement that populated a data window, ALL table and column names were enclosed in double-quotes and in upper-case. I'm not sure of the rationale for this except that it demonstrated the default case-lessness (actually that means default to all upper-case?) and suggested how one might introduce specific case-sensitive names.

Thanks again.

Ken Received on Sun Sep 16 2007 - 08:23:27 CDT