Utlizing /3GB and /PAE to go beyong 2GB limitaion of WIndows 32 bit

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 15:08:08 -0700

awe_window_memory

I am using Windows 2000 Advanced Server and my database version is Oracle 9.2.0.6 32 bit.

I have read many articles on metalink on using /3GB and /PAE (AWE) on metalink. While I understand how memory allocation works, when there is only database instance using AWE, it is not clear what happens when I have multiple database instances using AWE.

Let us say I have set awe_window_memory=512M (in bytes) in registery. My db_block_buffers * db_block_size = 2GB.

For one instance, 512M bytes of memory will come from lower 3GB area. 1.5GB of buffer cache will come from above 4GB (PAE) area.

  1. For second database, will additional 512M bytes of memory come from lower 3GB area, or is the same AWE memory window (512M) is used for both database instances. I know additional 1.5GB buffer cache will come above 4GB area, but not clear about lower 3GB area. Will 512M + 512M =1024M has been taken from lower 3GB area.
  2. Another question, how does one monitor how much memory is being utilized below 3GB and how much above 4GB. Is there any way to get this information from windows tool such as perfmon or using Oracle data dictionary views?

Thanks, Received on Sat Sep 15 2007 - 17:08:08 CDT