double-quoting table names in TOAD - restart - sorry!

From: ken quirici <ken.quirici_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:31:50 -0700

Hi,

I seem to have deleted my original post - twice! So I'm going to start over - as before, database entity names are fictitious.

I was in TOAD logged in to schema1 (Oracle 9i). I issued the following select statement from the TOAD editor:

select count(*) from schema2.table_a;

I got an 'invalid or missing table' message.

After checking the online docs for Oracle 9i, I asked a neighboring dba - he entered and ran

select count(*) from schema2."table_a"

and it ran successfully.

Why does the table-name in schema2 need
to be double-quoted when referenced from schema1?

Since the dba's query was successful, clearly schema1 had access to table_a in schema2. (I had been told this before I ran the query anyway).

Thanks for all your replies up til now, and your corrections.

However I don't believe anyone has answered my question yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken Quirici Received on Sat Sep 15 2007 - 12:31:50 CDT