double-quoting table names in TOAD

From: ken quirici <ken.quirici_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:59:50 -0700

Hi,

I was in schema1 (not the actual name) in TOAD -Oracle 9i - and tried

select count(*) from schema2.table1; (not the actual names)

I got an 'invalid or unknown table' error, although, as you will see below, schema1 has read access to schema2.

After various attempts at figuring this out, including running down refs to " in the Master Index for the Oracle 9i documentation set, I asked one of the dbas for help. He typed this into my session and it
worked:

Anybody have any idea what principle is involved here? As I said it's not documented. Is it a TOAD issue, or maybe an issue accessing Oracle from a fat client like TOAD? Maybe the same 'fix' would also be needed from a C or C++ client? But that would have turned up a reference in the Master Index.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken Quirici Received on Sat Sep 15 2007 - 08:59:50 CDT