toad and double-quoting column name

From: ken quirici <ken.quirici_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:39:51 -0700

Hi,

I had an issue at work which has been bugging me since yesterday, so I thought I might get some help before my weekend gets ruined.

I was in TOAD logged in to schema_1 which has privileges to read schema_2
in the same database.

I tried

select count(*) from schema2.table_a;

and got an "unknown table" response from Oracle.

My dba suggested

select count(*) from schema2."table_a"

and it worked.

I didn't get a chance to ask him why, so my question is:

what is the nature of this function of double quotes in I assume Oracle (rather than TOAD) functionality? In other words, does Oracle have a rule like:

to access a table in a schema to which the schema you're in has read access, enclose it's name in your sql statement in doublequotes

I checked the master index of the Oracle 9i documents and found only two refs to the doublequote, neither of which seemed relevant.

Thanks much for any ray of light.

Ken Quirici Received on Sat Sep 15 2007 - 08:39:51 CDT