Re: Corrupted dbf file... help!!

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:30:37 -0700

On Sep 14, 10:23 pm, Anurag Varma <avora..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Point taken. I just wanted to point out the extra information that
> the strings command can spew out.
> Apart from that, I agree with your point/reply.

NP whatsoever. I do apologize I wasn't more explicit on the strings command usage either: been too busy with Peoplesoft performance issues.

I use:
strings [cf-path] | grep -E '^/.*/'
to get rid of all the chaff and get only pathnames. In my case, AIX. Small variations may be needed for Solaris, Linux, etcetc.

Of course, I get a lot more than just the datafiles: logfiles, FRA, etc.

But it works ok for a quick check to see if filenames match what is in the file systems or as part of a larger script to check dbfile existence without having to start an Oracle instance.

I find this useful for example when checking if everything is fine after a system boot and if it's OK to start Oracle. Received on Fri Sep 14 2007 - 18:30:37 CDT