Re: ignoreSysPrereqs and Linux installs

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:16:22 -0700

On Sep 14, 6:06 pm, "owensmit..._at_gmail.com" <owensmit..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle People,
>
> For Oracle 10gR2 installs,
> I'm trying to figure out some of the details behind the
> ignoreSysPrereqs
> option to runInstaller.
>
> If I run runInstaller with no options,
> it will look at various attributes of my Linux OS.
>
> Where might I find a list of the shell commands it is using
> to gather information about the target host?
>
> I'm assuming they are shell commands. Perhaps they are Java calls
> or an execution of a compiled executable?
>
> Next, I'm curious about what runInstaller does after it gets the
> information it wants from the OS.
>
> Obviously it must try to "join" the information with a list of
> OS attributes which are stored on the installation cdrom.
>
> If it gets a match, it allows the install to continue.
>
> Where is this list of OS attributes found on the installation cdrom?
>
> -Owen

Usually you use the ignore on linux if you are using a "slightly" different version of linux ... aka centos or whitebox or ( ubuntu I guess ) versus redhat typically.

IE You know that the difference is superficial ( since it is a clone of red hat usually I think ) and it is little white lie to the installer.

Then the installer will look at specfics os patches ( rpms whatever ) and kernel settings and give you another chance to say "yeah yeah " by setting the checkbox.

There's a bunch of websites with good oracle/linux install info like http://www.puschitz.com etc ... Received on Fri Sep 14 2007 - 18:16:22 CDT