Re: Oracle on Demand - Kiss your DBA jobs good-bye.

From: joel garry <>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 15:27:12 -0700

On Sep 13, 5:37 pm, Mark Townsend <> wrote:
> Steve Howard wrote:
> > On Sep 13, 11:37 am, Mikail Dellovich <> wrote:
> >> My opinion follows:
> >> In an attempt to screw anyone and now its DBA base, Oracle is doing yet
> >> another thing ... Oracle on Demand .. also know as the end of the
> >> in-house DBA:
> >>
> >> --
> >> Godlessness, torture and fornication are the hallmarks of our great(sic)
> >> society.
> > LOL! It's on a blog, so it must be true.
> I'd argue that this is not a blog. There is a large corporation behind
> this site that makes money from the number of visitors to the site. So
> they are bound to post a little controversy sometime in order to
> a.ttract a few punters. Looks like they used fairly good bait this time

Do they make money from visitors to the site, or visitors who click through to advertisers on the site? Where does the money come from and go to?

It's a blog. Like the vast majority of blogs, not a good blog.

Here's one definition of blog: "A frequent, chronological publication of personal thoughts and Web links."

So, ipso bloggo, my blog is not a blog. And neither are a bunch of otherwise excellent Oracle blogs.

But my sigblog is!

Another definition is "... a website where entries are written in chronological order and commonly displayed in reverse chronological order."

So my blog _is_ a blog. Even though its only reason for existence is to post on other blogs. But comments (blomments?) are commonly not in reverse chronological order, so are they not part of a blog?

I get those techtarget mailings, but somehow almost never get around to actually looking at them, 'cause the ones I've sampled in the past are often so overgeneralized as to be worse than useless - ie, wrong -, with no correction mechanism. This thread made me poke around techtarget, and find the PL/SQL glossary entry. It points to a document from the last century at Stanford. The SQL definition points to a SQLServer entry...

-- is bogus.
"What's the use of a revolution without general fornication?" - De Sade