Re: Importing a Oracle 7 dmp file into 10g

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:43:30 -0700

On Sep 14, 1:23 pm, Sidhu <amardeepsi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am importing an oracle 7 dump file into a 10g database. I am not
> able to know the difference between a snapshot and a materialized
> view, in a detailed manner. As in Oracle 7 there were snapshots and
> there are materialized views,now a days.
>
> Can someone tell from his experience whats the best way to deal with
> this situation ? Will the import just work fine or there would be some
> issues with creation of snapshots ? Any tips and tricks to go with
> minimum possible number of errors.
>
> Also there are comments on snapshots in the old database. I just
> checked that we cannot create comments on materialized views in 10g
> using "comment on table x is y". Instead we have to use "comment on
> materialized view x is y" and also it goes into all_mviews_comments
> instead of all_tab_comments. [Actually there is some front end in the
> application that uses data from all_tab_comments to display
> information about the snapshots] So for this I guess I will need to
> take some manual action. Extracting the comments from log created
> using show=Y and then manually adding to materialized views.
>
> Any tips are welcome :)
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Sidhu

This is a strange sentence
 I am not
> able to know the difference between a snapshot and a materialized
> view, in a detailed manner.

You mean you can't read any longer?
Too tired/too lazy/too underpaid to be unable to read up on materialized views?
Rather asking someone asking to do *your* work for free? Coming from a certain community where parasiting on the rest of the world is the latest trend?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA