Re: RMAN restore to a new server question.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:20:24 -0700

On Sep 13, 6:31 am, JAGA <james.g..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 6:00 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

> > JAGA wrote:
> > > On Sep 12, 1:44 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
>
> > > I had read about the DUPLICATE command but this is not an option, I
> > > have to do this from tape, over the network is not an option.
>
> > Why do you have to do this from tape? Is your backup system incapable
> > of putting the tape image on disk?
>
> > If so ... throw it away.
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > University of Washington
> > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> It is capable but do to the size and network speed it has to be done
> this was , plus my boss wants to have it as a proof of concept. It is
> a 3day netowrk rebuild as or an overnight tape shipment.

Oddly enough, my standby db is also a 3 day network rebuild or an overnight media shipment. I originally wrote a script to do it over the network, then split that up to use the tape. Both ways were shown to work.

Over several years and versions I've actually had to use it several times, due to hardware failures. The media way didn't work the last two times due to various operator errors (and earlier there were tape difficulties), and I wound up using the network anyways. Sometimes (including the last time) the media was a disk drive.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Colossal blunder:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070913/news_1n13dean.html