Re: Oracle on Demand - Kiss your DBA jobs good-bye.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:47:56 -0700

On Sep 13, 8:37 am, Mikail Dellovich <f..._at_foo.com> wrote:
> My opinion follows:
> In an attempt to screw anyone and now its DBA base, Oracle is doing yet
> another thing ... Oracle on Demand .. also know as the end of the
> in-house DBA:
>
> http://eyeonoracle.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/09/10/are-you-afraid-of-...

Well, I' ve been watching and sometimes working for companies in this kind of business since it was called timesharing in the early '80s, and it always has been very difficult to make work as a business model. I haven't seen anything that makes me think they've come up with a way to make it work, and several things that make me think this is just yet another marketing gimmick that will blow over once the numbers come in.

End of the in-house DBA isn't anything new either. The work still needs to be done, the tasks have slightly evolved. These days, I'm only a DBA when a customer decides they need to say magic words like "explain this to my DBA" because vendor is spouting BS. I do all the DBA tasks, but call it database consulting. Whoopie.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Biggest show in Russia is licensed remake of "Married, With