Re: Corrupted dbf file... help!!

From: Anurag Varma <>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:10:22 -0700

On Sep 12, 8:43 pm, Noons <> wrote:
> On Sep 12, 9:19 pm, Helma <> wrote:
> > You seem to advocate to scan the controlfile with an unix command in
> > stead of using the normal oracle features.
> No, completely false. Once again, you prove you
> have a hidden agenda in your intervention here.
> I did not "advocate" anything. I replied to one
> single instance of a very specific problem in a very
> specific set of circumstances. Period.
> NOTHING authorizes you or anyone else to
> generalize or extrapolate ANYTHING from there.
> The fact that you persist in doing so clearly shows
> the bias you are putting in this entire series of replies.
> Did anyone ask you to do it or you're trying to
> look good for the ACE award?
> Got it, or do I need to use shorter words?
> > I see no difference in the assumptionlevel between scanning a
> > controlfile and the ASCII backup to trace, except the one that
> > is mentioned before in this thread: It's not what you find in the
> > controlfile, but what Oracle finds in the controlfile.
> It's not what Oracle finds in the controlfile, it's the damage
> the OP can do to the database if he continues to play around
> and poke at the lights. I prefer to keep them from doing ANY
> harm, but of course approaches vary depending on how much
> there is to be made from consulting fees.
> > Cold backup situation or not is not the difference that would justify
> > to leave normal oracle functionality.
> Total lack of knowledge of what is going on is.
> And total ignorance of what that can bring is what
> you are showing.
> > The only reason
> > to use a scan of a file, AFAIK, is when you prefer it because of your
> > strong Unix background or you simply didn't know
> > you could backup to trace.
> Absolutely. Now, shove your insinuations where the sun
> doesn't shine.

Going back to your original suggestion, running strings on a controlfile
might not actually show the datafiles that are being used by the database.
I tried your suggestion on an active database I have and strings showed
me datafiles belonging to tablespaces that had been dropped many months back.

That leads me to believe that the output of strings *might* confuse the OP
more than helping him/her.

Anurag Received on Thu Sep 13 2007 - 10:10:22 CDT

Original text of this message