Re: Corrupted dbf file... help!!

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:43:37 -0700

On Sep 12, 9:19 pm, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> You seem to advocate to scan the controlfile with an unix command in
> stead of using the normal oracle features.

No, completely false. Once again, you prove you have a hidden agenda in your intervention here. I did not "advocate" anything. I replied to one single instance of a very specific problem in a very specific set of circumstances. Period.

NOTHING authorizes you or anyone else to generalize or extrapolate ANYTHING from there. The fact that you persist in doing so clearly shows the bias you are putting in this entire series of replies. Did anyone ask you to do it or you're trying to look good for the ACE award?

Got it, or do I need to use shorter words?

> I see no difference in the assumptionlevel between scanning a
> controlfile and the ASCII backup to trace, except the one that
> is mentioned before in this thread: It's not what you find in the
> controlfile, but what Oracle finds in the controlfile.

It's not what Oracle finds in the controlfile, it's the damage the OP can do to the database if he continues to play around and poke at the lights. I prefer to keep them from doing ANY harm, but of course approaches vary depending on how much there is to be made from consulting fees.

> Cold backup situation or not is not the difference that would justify
> to leave normal oracle functionality.

Total lack of knowledge of what is going on is. And total ignorance of what that can bring is what you are showing.

> The only reason
> to use a scan of a file, AFAIK, is when you prefer it because of your
> strong Unix background or you simply didn't know
> you could backup to trace.

Absolutely. Now, shove your insinuations where the sun doesn't shine. Received on Wed Sep 12 2007 - 19:43:37 CDT