Re: SYSTEM and SYSAUX Tablespace Opinions Requested

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:03:38 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>>> So, why would there be problem in loading objects
>>> into SYSAUX?
>> I can't say that there is just as I've seen a lot of production
>> databases with stuff in SYSTEM.

> Which is wrong, in my opinion. As said before, but snipped.
> And this is about SYSAUX, not SYSTEM (although I acknowledge
> SYSAUX being the "offloader" tablespace for SYSTEM)
>
> What I am saying is that it is
>> likely a disaster waiting to happen and could make work with
>> backups and Flashback and Recyclebin problematic as you could
>> inadvertently affect required objects.

> I'm talking objects in a tablespace (quota on tablespace...),
> not object grants.
>
> I'll take your answer as "there's no objection against
> issuing quota to users on SYSAUX"
> - --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

I am not aware of any specific prohibition other than what I would call common sense. If SYSAUX fills up that is not a good place to be. I would advise 0 quota on both SYSTEM and SYSAUX as there is on valid reason I can imagine, on any Oracle system, where creating a new tablespace might create an issue. Yet I can think of many cases where giving access to SYSAUX might be one.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington