Re: Memory Allocations

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:37:16 -0500

Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
> I was told by someone that the general rule of thumb for the initial memory
> allocation in an Oracle instance was something like 40% for the SGA and 60%
> for the PGA.
>
> Anybody willing to comment on how accurate/inaccurate that statement was?
>
> Thanks.

Personally, I've never used that rule of thumb. The sizes of the PGA and SGA should be determined by your application and data usage patterns. Your application and the way your users access the data may denote that a 2GB SGA is appropriate. Servers with 4GB, 8GB, and 16GB of physical memory (RAM) would arrive at entirely different estimates for the SGA using this 40% rule.

You can use rules of thumb similar to these as a starting point. But I would expect that in short order, you would need to adjust your SGA and PGA. If you sized your instance by the rules you stated, 100% of the server's physical memory would be tied up with just the Oracle instance!

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net