deadlocks and redologs interaction

From: carab1n3r <carab1n3r_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:20:31 -0700

I'm still relatively green as a DBA, so excuse the possibly simple question...

We have a DB that is seeing a lot of deadlocks, occasionally hundreds at a time. Yes, typically this is an external-application/development problem.

However, I'm trying to determine and/or explain what impact lots-o- deadlocks has on redolog, particularly the switching. The reason I mention it is that during these "deadlock storms", we occasionally run out of redologs to switch to.

The drumbeat I'm hearing is to "just add more redolog groups!!!" since that's easy to do, but we're only running into this redolog-switching problem during the deadlock storms, and my gut is that this is just a bandaid and will eventually not resolve the problem as deadlock rates continue to increase.

So can someone explain to me (in such a way that I can explain it to others), when we have lots of deadlocks, what impact does that have on redologs?

Thanks a lot in advance for the advice. Received on Tue Sep 11 2007 - 19:20:31 CDT