Re: Corrupted dbf file... help!!

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:11:45 -0700

On Sep 11, 5:33 am, Alberto Frosi <alberto.fr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 10:52 pm, Kaka <kaka...._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I shutdown the database using shutdown abort and now one of the db
> > file is corrupted. I am not able to startup the database anymore.....
> > NOTE: the database is in the noarchivelog mode. Does it mean, the
> > whole database is non-recoverable? HELP..... thanks!!!!
>
> > Looks like one of the db file is corrupted.
>
> > What should I do?
>
> > SQL> startup;
> > ORACLE instance started.
> > Total System Global Area 1932496864 bytes
> > Fixed Size 733152 bytes
> > Variable Size 402653184 bytes
> > Database Buffers 1476395008 bytes
> > Redo Buffers 52715520 bytes
> > Database mounted.
> > ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file 198 - see DBWR trace file
> > ORA-01110: data file 198: '/u01/oradata/ax5/data014.dbf '
>
> > Thanks!!
>
> Hi,
> another question:
> Why 'shutdown abort'? and no 'shutdown immediate' for example?
> why this choice?
>
> Alberto

I don't know why he did it, but it is fairly common, especially due to the way Windows installations tend to do things, and various agents on older versions. In other words, the immediate may take forever, where forever is more than a few seconds. Some older "manual" backup routines would bounce the db with an abort/startup/shutdown to be sure things will be in a known state for a backup. Isn't an abort part of startup force?

It is a good question, though. There have been obscure bugs with abort, rare, platform dependent and hard to reproduce for the most part. The better way is to ask nicely first and know why it won't shutdown.

Andriek:

I normally wouldn't make fun of someone's name without provocation, but this was irresistable.

Noons:

I almost said the same thing you did, but thought about it and realized the backup to trace is a better answer given the information available. We are after all interested in what Oracle thinks about the control file, not what is in the control file we look at. Being comfortable with the unix environment is a plus, but not always the best answer. This situation here is a toss-up, but I kinda wish I had thought the way Steve and Helma did. (Google didn't show me some replies that were from long before I was posting). It is easy to imagine the OP is over his head on the OS side here, causing the problem.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I'm still in Vegas and my toilet is still broken." - Sheena Easton