empth_clob() for CLOB column in INSERT necessary ?

From: userjohn <userjohn_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:17:26 -0400

10gR2 EE (10.2.0.3.0)

Have a table with a CLOB column.

In my application,
I first INSERT and populate all OTHER columns with an INSERT INTO....SELECT... Later in the process I update the CLOB column like:

UPDATE t_table_with_xml
SET xml_clob = (SELECT .... FROM ....)
WHERE t_pk = :pk

I'm wondering, should I populate the CLOB column with empth_clob() in the INSERT...SELECT ?
Does it make any difference like more efficient ?

thanks Received on Mon Sep 10 2007 - 11:17:26 CDT