Re: Role/Privilege and remote databases

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:05:04 GMT

"Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net> wrote in news:0F%Ei.7399$z_5.1167 @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

> "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> It depends upon how/when/where the access to MY_TABLE is made.
>> From SQL*Plus, yes. From PL/SQL, no.

> It would be through PL/SQL code contained in packages.
>
> What would I need to do to permit access by a role to tables on a remote
> server? Is there a good example/description in the Oracle documentation
> somewhere?

The whole Oracle online doc. set can be found at http://tahiti.oracle.com

The general rule is that "privs acquired via ROLEs do NOT apply within PL/SQL procedures".

There is nothing unique or different regarding how permissions are handled when comparing "local" access to "remote" access.

Keep in mind that WRT to "remote" access, a session is "logged into the (remote) database" using a username & password. Which objects & what type of access are governed by the same rules as apply as to the local DB.

GRANTs on the objects must be issued directly to the schema/username. Received on Sun Sep 09 2007 - 20:05:04 CDT