Re: SYSTEM and SYSAUX Tablespace Opinions Requested

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:06:31 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:

>> Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>> Those account probably have the RESOURCE role granted.
>>> In previous releases (it started with 8.0, iirc), RESOURCE had
>>> unlimited tablespace.

>>> SYSTEM - OK, SYSAUX, why not? A TS just as any other.
>> Ouch. That hurt. SYSAUX is not just another tablespace. There are very
>> specific rules as to what can move into and out of SYSAUX.
>>
>> col occupant_name format a30
>> col schema_name format a30
>> col move_procedure format a50
>>
>> SELECT occupant_name, schema_name, move_procedure
>> FROM v_$sysaux_occupants
>> ORDER BY 1;
>>
>> It might not hurt ... but neither does locking down security and
>> putting schemas where they can do no harm.

> undoubtedly Oracle had a cunning plan while making up sysaux,
> so your query will work (hopefully in real life versions, too)...
> But even then - what does it show?
>
> The point was: should users have quota on sysaux. My
> response was why not, (in that respect) sysaux is an ordinary
> tablespace - au contraire to system, which will cause
> an instance to behave very strange indeed when filled up
> and an extend is needed.
>
> Any thoughts on granting quota to users on SYSAUX
> - --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

According to my understanding of what Oracle has documented we are supposed to treat SYSAUX with the same "hands-off" we do SYSTEM.

Here's what the docs say:
"The SYSAUX tablespace serves as an auxiliary tablespace to the SYSTEM tablespace. Because it is the default tablespace for many Oracle Database features and products that previously required their own tablespaces, it reduces the number of tablespaces required by the database and that you must maintain. Other functionality or features that previously used the SYSTEM tablespace can now use the SYSAUX tablespace, thus reducing the load on the SYSTEM tablespace."

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28310/create003.htm#BABFHHAG

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington