Re: SYSTEM and SYSAUX Tablespace Opinions Requested

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:50:29 -0700

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Dereck L. Dietz wrote:

>> In the database I work on at work it appears that there are many user
>> accounts which have been created with the system privilege UNLIMITED
>> TABLESPACE.

> Those account probably have the RESOURCE role granted.
> In previous releases (it started with 8.0, iirc), RESOURCE had
> unlimited tablespace.
>
>> I brought this to the attention of my manager mentioning that no user
>> account should have any tablespace quota in those two tablespaces.  He had
>> me write it up and then forwarded it to the off-site DBA to see what he
>> thought of my suggestions.

> SYSTEM - OK, SYSAUX, why not? A TS just as any other.

Ouch. That hurt. SYSAUX is not just another tablespace. There are very specific rules as to what can move into and out of SYSAUX.

col occupant_name format a30
col schema_name format a30
col move_procedure format a50

SELECT occupant_name, schema_name, move_procedure FROM v_$sysaux_occupants
ORDER BY 1; It might not hurt ... but neither does locking down security and putting schemas where they can do no harm.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington