Re: Options to duplicate database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 17:42:00 -0700

jackzhunj_at_gmail.com wrote:

> On Sep 5, 6:53 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>> jackzh..._at_gmail.com wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I need to duplicate one of our DB to the new Linux server:
>>> Original DB: 10.1.0.2 64 bit on Solaris
>>> Catalog DB: 10.1.0.2 64 bit on Solaris
>>> 'compatible' parameter is '9.2.0' for the above 2 db.
>>> New server and Oracle: 10.2.0.1 64 bit on RHEL 5
>>> Besides the traditional exp/imp, what are the other options? (We don't
>>> want original DB down or become read only)
>>> 1. Transportable tablespace. We cannot do it, because it needs to make
>>> tablespaces of original DB readonly.
>>> 2. RMAN Duplicate feature? Since this is cross-platform, according to
>>> Note 369644.1 from metalink:
>>> "With 10g, using the RMAN convert commands, you can cross
>>> between platforms"
>>> But 'convert' command does require 'compatible' parameter is at least
>>> 10.
>>> So, I think I will not be able to use 'duplicate' feature, right?
>>> 3. Any other suggestions?
>>> 4. Which one use less CPU and I/O: exp a large table or use 'sqlplus'
>>> to 'spool' to a text file?
>>> Thanks a lot!
>> Personally I'd choose RMAN. But before advising you to do so can you
>> explain why you are using a 9i compatible with a 10g database? And
>> why you have not patched 10.1.0.2 to the latest 10gR1 patch? It seems
>> you are shooting yourself in the foot in multiple ways.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> I just took over this original oracle db. I also don't understand why
> it has 'old' values for many parameters.
> I will give RMAN a try.
>
> This is just painful.

Most likely incompetence. I've seen it before and the end result is almost always that they upgraded using an existing pfile and were too lazy to apply patches too.

See what's being run, set up a test environment, and with management approval join the 21st century.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington