Re: the usual rubbish from Oracle marketing...

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:30:47 -0700

On Sep 7, 6:30 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

snip

> > > As usual, not even the courtesy of a message explaining why.
> > > Why am I not surprised? Apparently, the Oracle fusion mafia is
> > > convinced this is the way to shut me up.
>
> > > Let's see them shut up the Usenet then?
>
> > I don't know what an ACE Director is but they must be the gang you are
> > referring to eh?
>
> I don't know if you are joking, but there is a faq:http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/nominations/ora...

Other things to spend my time reading thanks anyway.

> > We get enough oracle marketing here in cdos from the people that don't
> > even work for oracle.
>
> Well, the faq does say ACE is to recognize advocacy. That doesn't
> necessarily imply marketing, though there is going to be some obvious
> conflict there. We should take pains here to point out the
> difference. Even marketing fluff (as opposed to commercial messages)
> can be good, as long as we point out technical deficiencies or
> inaccuracy.

If it looks like spam and acts like spam ...

> Funnily enough, the faq says only non-employees can be an ACE, and yet
> you can look up the ACE members with an apex app (http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:3:3657802228476841[don't
> know if this will work, follow links from ace indexhttp://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/index.htmlif
> not]) and see people like Tom Kyte. Maybe they need to rename it to
> AFU. I think there may be some, um, design confusion between the OTN
> forum designations and the ACE program, too.

There's a real bad smell coming from the direction of ACE and ACE directors ... IMHO.

> > If only we were getting support from oracle up to the level that the
> > marketing hype is being driven out at.
>
> The recent calls I've made to support have me quite happy. And I'm
> not one to be quiet about it if I'm not. As always, it depends which
> group, which analyst, and how well the issue is submitted. But I
> agree with your sentiment.

I am getting spammed now by oracle support.

They want me to answer a survey on a service request that is now closed.

The service request was generated by an oracle employee ( supposedly to help research a different service request open now for more than 2 months that I actually did submit ).

The service request ( on my behalf gee thanks oracle ) asked if oracle supported an oracle database created using 10.2.0.3 on EMC symmetrix systems.

Now is that quality support or what?

Now they want me to answer a survey on how much they helped me not of course on the one that is still open but on the one they created and have now closed which is the most idiotic service request I have yet seen.

Is that what we are paying for? Evidently so ... Received on Fri Sep 07 2007 - 18:30:47 CDT