Re: Oracle & DB2 source code

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:52:48 -0700

On Sep 6, 8:22 am, mvsguy <kkin..._at_fuse.net> wrote:
> I have a question regarding a common source code base supporting both
> Oracle & DB2.
>
> I'm in a tough spot. I know people who assume the same COBOL source
> code can used regardless whether someone is using DB2 or Oracle. (This
> is for a product running on Win. Unix and z/OS.)
> I'm highly skeptical of this but don't have any proof to support my
> position.
>
> Can someone out there help by giving some real life examples?
>
> Regards,
> MVSGuy

In some limited cases yes you can probably take cobol source and have it execute against either oracle or db2 depending on database design implementation choices, usage or not of sequences, and database specific extensions to SQL syntax.

Not that this is a good idea at all in general. One wants to take advantage of the power and features that a database has to produce a scalable application not limit the effectiveness of an application by using generic code. ( That's the mantra rinse and repeat ... ) Received on Thu Sep 06 2007 - 18:52:48 CDT