Re: Oracle datafile could be greater than 2 GIG in HPUX?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:35:36 -0700

On Sep 5, 4:42 pm, "domin..._at_gmail.com" <domin..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been using solaris(SUN) and linux.
> Now, I have a new production machine which run HPUX(I am not that use
> to UPUX):
>
> uname -a
> HP-UX abc200 B.11.23 U ia64 1168038185 unlimited-user license
>
> I would like to check with this newsgroup that oracle datafile greater
> than 2 Gig is "ok" in
> HPUX.
>
> The thing is even on linux, people are warning me that oracle datafile
> could be greater than 2 Gig,
> but certain tools might not work.
>
> I want to make sure it is OK before I resize my datafile to 4GIG or
> even bigger like 6 Gig.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dominica

Even in the 8i days the tools problem may have been a myth, but no problem nowadays. The only problem I've seen is copying files bigger than about 20G over a network to a mysterious pizza box thingie, and it might have been a hardware error there (some disks failed later), or maybe wrong nfs settings or something.

I still use 2G files more out of force of habit and existing scripts than anything else. RMAN can parallelize backups better with many similar sized files, at least in my configuration. With mixed size files and multiple channels, RMAN winds up still working on the big files after the little ones are done.

hp-ux is just another unix, unless you start digging into things like http://blog.tanelpoder.com/

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.