Re: estimated of CLUSTERING_FACTOR

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 15:03:35 -0700

On Sep 5, 8:05 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Andrea wrote:

> >> The best method is to bother only when it will *resolve* anything.
> >> Otherwise you are embarking on an exercise in futility and getting
> >> paid for wasting your and your employers time.
>
> >> --
>
> > sorry but i discord with you, some crumbs of my FREE time i dedicated
> > for learn and increase my competence.
> > I think that one (but important) of DBA role is "also" do a proactive
> > tuning of database.
> > what is badly in this?
> > if i search and engage to find possible bottleneck (leaf blocks,
> > chained rows, objects fragmentation, waits, clustering factor, etc..)
> > i could to avoid that this become to a problem (reactive).
>
> To be proactive is a good thing. But there is a line that separates
> being proactive and having, as Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha has called it,
> "Compulsive Tuning Disorder." More people have the later.
>
> I too am in agreement with Sybrand. It appears that faced with a need
> to do "something" you have chosen an arbitrary "something" without
> metrics supporting that that "something" has any value.
> --

I think you guys are a little too hard on Andrea here. I've read that ch. 5 in the past, and just read it again with this thread and a work issue in mind. Working through the clustering on the work issue, I see it is not relevant. But I wouldn't have known that without looking. And I wouldn't likely have gotten around to looking without Andrea's post. And it is a good thing that bad papers are debunked whenever they pop up. Andrea is right, this group is made for discussing such issues. The only thing I think he could have done better is say which paper he was reading, so we could attack, er, discuss it rationally.

(The work issue is a set of tables had a significant amount of data deleted, exp/imp into a test db showed gigabytes of space saved, even after months of new transactions. Moving tablespaces or exp/imp would significantly impact production, and cost money [ie, me]. Gigs of space is an issue, since they propagate to backups and standby. Performance doesn't _seem_ to be an issue, though waiting on a monthend  batch recently popped up again. Buying more space is a discontinuous cost with fully populated SANs. CTD? Whatever management wants...)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"...important questions regarding whether a patent holder's deceptive