Options to duplicate database

From: <jackzhunj_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:42:27 -0000

Hi,

I need to duplicate one of our DB to the new Linux server:

Original DB: 10.1.0.2 64 bit on Solaris
Catalog DB: 10.1.0.2 64 bit on Solaris

'compatible' parameter is '9.2.0' for the above 2 db.

New server and Oracle: 10.2.0.1 64 bit on RHEL 5

Besides the traditional exp/imp, what are the other options? (We don't want original DB down or become read only)

  1. Transportable tablespace. We cannot do it, because it needs to make tablespaces of original DB readonly.
  2. RMAN Duplicate feature? Since this is cross-platform, according to Note 369644.1 from metalink:

"With 10g, using the RMAN convert commands, you can cross between platforms"
But 'convert' command does require 'compatible' parameter is at least 10.

So, I think I will not be able to use 'duplicate' feature, right?

3. Any other suggestions?

4. Which one use less CPU and I/O: exp a large table or use 'sqlplus' to 'spool' to a text file?

Thanks a lot! Received on Wed Sep 05 2007 - 14:42:27 CDT