Re: Multiple 10g instances (standard edition) one machine / resource allocation

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:26:58 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> It makes perfect sense to me.
>>
>> Oracle support, for that matter any technology support, requires that
>> the vendor be able to recreate the customer's environment. It is
>> possible for Oracle to have Win 2K, WinXP, WinVista, Solaris, AIX,
>> HP/UX, and other standard environments available to their support team.
>> There is no way Oracle can have canned virtual environments available.
>> It is the same issue with Solaris Containers.

> I don't buy that at all - Oracle can't have the exact hardware and
> software configuration of the customer, down to bios levels, driver
> revisions etc etc. In the case of VMware Oracle could if necessary have
> the exact environment available - it's just files after all.

Oracle does not certify to hardware ... Oracle certifies to operating systems. So while you are in some sense correct you are not in another.

 From my experience with Oracle when Apple was cooperating (10.1.0.3) I know what Oracle requires in the way of hardware to support a port ... and the amount of hardware, I can't discuss exact numbers, was so substantial that it really does give them the ability to create a massive number of environments.

Also consider that Oracle expects you, the customer, to read the support matrix and to install based on the docs posted at http://docs.oracle.com. So in that sense they can, in fact, do so.

What virtual environments do is make it harder to "support the operating system."

> Nope it looks to me like a simple decision not to extend the cost of
> providing support (which makes reasonable sense) by training their staff
> in vmware as well.

I've no doubt cost enters into the equation given Oracle is not a non-profit and has no desire to become one. But in this case I doubt the cost of VMWare training, or Solaris Containers training is significant.

> Also of couurse Oracle does support VMware environments - it's when they
> run out of ideas ^H^H^H^H can show it's a vmware issue that they wash
> their hands of it - not unlike the case with all o/s's (except Linux).

That's not what I see here:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html

--
Daniel A. Morgan