Re: Multiple 10g instances (standard edition) one machine / resource allocation

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:47:54 +0100

jeremy wrote:

> On Sep 4, 5:37 pm, "Preston" <dontwant..._at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>> jeremy wrote:
>>> It has been suggested that we could set-up a new production
>>> environment on 10gR2 (2 instances) using VMWARE. This would enable us,
>>> as I understand it, to allocate the resources of the server in the
>>> ratio we choose between the different databases as each would
>>> effectively be running on its own machine.
>>> I can see that Oracle does not support installation of its products on
>>> VMWARE
>>> (see
>>> https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:14:8993822913808118
>>> 385::::p14_database_id,p14_docid,p14_show_header,p14_show_help,p14_bla
>>> ck_frame,p14_font:NOT,249212.1,1,1,0,helvetica )
>> http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe10gdb_vmware/index.html
>>
>> Compare & contrast.
>>
>> Also http://www.vmware.com/partners/alliances/technology/oracle.html
>
> Yup seen both of those pages today.... it is bewildering really isn't
> it.
>
> --
> jeremy

The note does say that Oracle will support you, but that any issues that are new and cannot be replicated outside of vmware will not be supported. VMWare isn't certified which is a different status.

There is another factor that might well weigh heavily against you with SE. vmware is an example of a 'soft partitioning' scheme and for such technologies Oracle require you to license based on the processor count of the host machine, not the guest O/S. See http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/partitioning.pdf for details. So if your vmware install is running on a meaty box - say an 8-way xeon or similar for good consolidation reasons - then you will have to license EE.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA