Re: QUOTA Question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:06:22 -0500

Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
> I apologize if this is a dumn question ...
>
> If i set the quota for a user to 0 for SYSTEM and SYSAUX will that user be
> able to create stored procedures and packages?
>
> I'm not sure where such a package/procedure would be stored.

I'd just add another point or two....

A "segment" is any database object that requires space allocations. When you create a table, you need to allocate space for that table. So a "table" is one type of segment. Indexes and materialized views are also segments. You can query DBA_SEGMENTS to see which objects are considered segments in your database. There are non-segment objects as well like stored procedures, views, triggers, etc. These objects do not allocate space on their own. The definitions of these objects are stored in the Data Dictionary (tables owned by SYS).

So why make the big distinction of what a segment is? That is because quotas only apply to segments and not other database objects.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net