Re: Shutdown nodeapps does not bring down VIP and Listener nodeapps

From: FatP <thatsang_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:47:31 -0700

On Sep 1, 12:26 am, Marc Bruinsma <marc.bruin..._at_chello.nl> wrote:
> FatP wrote:
> > I am learning 10gR2 RAC on ubuntu and have gone through the
> > installation of Clusterware successfully (no DB yet). But I am facing
> > some issues:
>
> > 1. Shutdown nodeapps does not bring down VIP
> > When I use the following command to shutdown nodeapps
>
> > srvctl shutdown nodeapps -n [nodename]
>
> > all the Oracle processes are died. However, eth0:1, which is used by
> > VIP is not brought down. Then srvctl refuses to start nodeapps because
> > the IP address is occupied. As a result, I need to use root to bring
> > down eth0 then assign the default route to the gateway again. Is this
> > the expected behaviour?
>
> > Actually, the result is the same if I shutdown CRS using /etc/rc.d/
> > rc3.d/init.crs.
>
> > 2. Cannot start listener with nodeapps
> > When I start nodeapps, it complained that LISTENER_[NODENAME] cannot
> > be started. Am I missing something Is this a database listener (so
> > that after I install & config db, the error will disappear) or
> > nodeapps has another listener?
>
> > Environment:
> > Oracle 10g R2 x86
> > Ubuntu 6.10 (I know this thing is not supported. But I am just
> > learning... and other things look good anyway)
>
> Which version are you using exactly? Are all the required packages on the
> nodes (Oracle is very picky about this).
>
> When you installed clusterware, did the vipca script run succesfully? Almost
> every cluster install I did, I had to rerun it manually from the last node
> in order to create the vip's succesfully.
>
> It is absolutely crucial that all the IP adresses and hostnames are
> configured correctly in /etc/hosts on all the nodes before you run the
> install, otherwise you won't get it to function properly.
>
> Or did you by any chance configure a second IP on eth0 manually by creating
> an ifcfg-eth0:1? I've seen that happen once before.
>
> What does srvctl config nodeapps -n <node> show you, and is it what you
> expect?
>
> BTW: an better way to shut down CRS is by crsctl stop crs.
>
> That's it for now, dinner is being served...:-0

Yes it is srvctl stop. Stupid typo.

I searched through all the log files in ORA_CRS_HOME, and concluded the problem occurs when running racgvip. In fact, the same error messages appeared when I ran racgvip in "test mode"...

root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# export _USR_ORA_VIP=192.168.128.129
root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# export _USR_ORA_NETMASK=255.255.255.0
root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# export _USR_ORA_IF=eth0
root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# export _CAA_NAME=ubuntu
root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# ./racgvip start
root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# ./racgvip check

IP:192.168.128.129 is already up in the network (host=ubuntu)

(This showed VIP was brought up correctly. ifconfig confirmed that eth0:1 has IP address 192.168.128.129)

root:$ORA_CRS_HOME/bin# ./racgvip stop
bounce eth0 (host=ubuntu)
SIOCSIFADDR: File exists
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

ifconfig showed that eth0:1 was still there. So racgvip could not bring down the VIP logical interface.

Further tracing showed that the actual commands executed by racgvip were:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:2 192.168.128.129 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.128.255 up
/sbin/ifconfig eth0:2 del 192.168.128.129

Changing eth0:2 to eth0:1 brings up the VIP interface.

It is 10g R2 (10.0.2.0.1). Since it is not a supported OS, it is hard to say whether all the requested packages are installed. But I believe what I have is OK after reading the numerous "Installing Oracle on Debian" guides.

vipca did not run correctly during install. I need to manually run oifcfg to config the interfaces, then things looks ok...

"srvctl config nodeapps -n <node>" shows nothing. Any suggestion? Received on Sat Sep 01 2007 - 02:47:31 CDT