Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:52:47 +0200

"Brian Peasland" <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> schreef in bericht news:46d7157b$0$16321$88260bb3_at_free.teranews.com...
> Tony Rogerson wrote:
>>> No. If the key changes, it is a new book! Keys can not change! (Want a
>>> new car? Get a new licence plate!)
>
> In the state I live in, when you get a new car, you put your old license
> plates on the new car (assuming you traded your old car in on the new
> purchase).

Then it must be the same car! ;-) (In my country, plates belong to the car, not to the driver and stay on the car when sold)

>> So, a membership database - my user group (sqlserverfaq.com) for
>> instance; I only capture this information because it's all I need and by
>> law in the UK I can only capture what I need...
>>
>> Full Name
>> Email Address
>> Company
>> Country of residence
>>
>> What's the natural key?
>>
>> Email Address is unique at a point in time.
>>
>> Are you trying to tell me email address does not change? What happens
>> when you move companies? You'd want to update your email address, in your
>> data model you aren't allowed to do that so I guess you can't use Oracle.
>
> Don't let the politician's in the US hear about this one. Next thing you
> know, they'll pass a law that says you can take your email address with
> you...similar to the law for cell phone numbers.

Yeah, Transportable Email Addresses!
By the way, this is a real problem: I registered for some sites, support etc. with my company email address and switched jobs. Lost all my electronic certificates on Oracle Education for example..... I hate sites using email address as a user id.

Shakespeare