Re: 10g or 11g ?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:43:44 -0700

On Aug 30, 2:22 pm, Jeremy <jeremy0..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Planning to migrate our systems to a new data center env in next couple
> of months. Currently on 9iR2 - thought was to go to 10g but should we go
> straight to 11g instead? General approach is to be one release behind
> the latest so that we know the platform is solid as a rock.
>
> Be interested to hear opinions on this.
>
> --
> jeremy

Well some of the expected oracle marketing droids in this newsgroup ( see what Howard has to say about ACE and directors by the way at http://www.dizwell.com/prod see blogs ) will be pushing 11g for sure.

We moved recently to 10.2 on all our systems ( 10.2.0.3 ) and it's working ok as long as you prevent database control from running. ( If not then you lose a whole bunch of cpu cycle's looks like oracle isn't up to speed at getting information about EMC symmetrix storage ).

We had been running 9.2.0.8 which was also pretty stable.

What platform? Oracle currently only has 11g out on linux and not even sure if that's 64 bit.

My own recommendation ( and what we will be doing here ) is to start slowly playing with 11g and evaluate it for implementation as it becomes stable and widely available.

To me anyhow 11g sure looks a lot more like 10.3 than 11x so perhaps that means it will be more ready to implement sooner than later. Received on Thu Aug 30 2007 - 13:43:44 CDT