Oracle permissions issue Oracle 9.2.0.7/Win 2003

From: Wally <wallyraju_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:42:12 -0700

Oracle 9.2.0.7
Windows 2003

We are going through a Certification and Accreditation process with our databases. We are being dinged for grants that any schema owner is giving on its objects to database roles. We were told that only the SYSTEM user or a user with DBA privileges should grant the permissions on any object to any role.

We have changed the process so that the user SYSTEM will log in and grant the permissions but here is something we have noticed.

Lets say that the schema in question is SCOTT. The table to grant SELECT permission on is the EMP table. The role to grant permissions to is EMP_ACCESS_ROLE

  1. We log in as SYSTEM and run the following statement.

GRANT SELECT on SCOTT.EMP to EMP_ACCESS_ROLE;

2. When we run

select * from DBA_TAB_PRIVS where table = 'EMP';

GRANTEE                   OWNER TABLE_NAME   GRANTOR
PRIVILEGE
---------------------------------- ------------
We see that the GRANTOR is still the schema owner SCOTT. So when the database is scanned again we are still being dinged for the schema owner granting permission on an object to a role.

3. We then tried this (even though this is retarded and unnecessary since SYSTEM has the SELECT permission to begin with)

GRANT SELECT ON SCOTT.EMP TO SYSTEM WITH GRANT OPTION; 4. We then log in as SYSTEM and grant the permission again.

GRANT SELECT on SCOTT.EMP to EMP_ACCESS_ROLE;

5. When we run

select * from DBA_TAB_PRIVS where table = 'EMP';

GRANTEE                   OWNER TABLE_NAME   GRANTOR
PRIVILEGE
We see that the GRANTOR is now SYSTEM. But now we are being dinged that the SYSTEM user has unnecessary permissions on the SCOTT schema that it does not need to have, and also that the schema owner SCOTT is still logging in to give permissions to other users.

Has anyone else run into this problem of the schema owner showing up as the GRANTOR even though SYSTEM granted the permission. What was your work around ?

Thanks in advance. Received on Thu Aug 30 2007 - 10:42:12 CDT