Re: what characterset to use?

From: Martin T. <0xCDCDCDCD_at_gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:25:33 +0200

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:54:57 -0700, Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> After reading this it sounds like Oracle is saying that conversion is
>> a bad thing and that the database character set should be set the same
>> as the client.

> That is EXACTLY what Oracle is NOT (I REPEAT: NOT) saying.
>
> Oracle SAYS:
> THE DATABASE CHARACTERSET SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THE CHARACTERSET OF
> THE O/S.
>
> WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?

Actually, I have to say that this advice confuses me. Which O/S's character set ?

If I run the Oracle database on Windows, should it be Unicode or Windows-1252?
An installation on Linux ... should it use UTF8, even when run for a e.g. Japanese site where this will result in overhead vs. 16bit Unicode? If I have client applications from 3 different O/S's ... which character set?
What IS the "character set of the OS" anyway?

br,
Martin Received on Thu Aug 30 2007 - 01:25:33 CDT