Re: Cache Hit Ratio from system views

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 03:12:23 GMT

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_nospam.bigpond.com> wrote in message news:9deBi.27625$4A1.19952_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "Bob Jones" <email_at_me.not> wrote in message

>> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_nospam.bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>> "Bob Jones" <email_at_me.not> wrote in message

>>> Are you seriously suggesting having a banking transaction resulting in a
>>> customer waiting for 5 minutes doesn't tell you anything about your
>>> system ?
>>>
>>> Are you seriously suggesting that a BCHR that remains the same is a
>>> better and more "meaningful indicator" than a critical business response
>>> time that varies from 5 seconds (telling me in answer to your question
>>> that application users are happy) to 5 minutes (telling me users are not
>>> so happy) ?
>>>

>> No, all I am suggesting is to go back and read the thread again. You will
>> find yourself completely out of the loop.
>>

> Unfortunately Bob, I have read all the thread and nowhere do you give any
> indication on why you would consider the BCHR to be a "very meaningful
> indicator" when it might not not change at all, currently 95% and still
> 95% while the database grinds to a halt ...

And nothing else has changed?
No, you either have not read all the threads or make no effort to understand my point.

>>> Your "very meaningful indicator" hasn't budged at all (still sitting at
>>> 99%) but the application has ground to halt ...
>>>
>>> You remind me of someone who considered the health and well being of the
>>> Titanic to be based on the ratio of notes being played by the string
>>> quartet, all things being equal !!
>>>

>> Before trying to read my mind, please read the thread correctly first.
>> Apparently some people here are debating with their ears blocked.
>

> Answer the questions in my other post Bob and lets see who has their ears
> blocked.

That would be you. If not, you would not have asked those questions.

> I have read all your contributions Bob, I really have and not once have
> you actually justified why the BCHR is such a meaningful indicator,
> nowhere have you mentioned what these other indicators are that you need
> to use in conjunction with the BCHR, nowhere have you mentioned how your
> actions and checks vary if the BCHR increases, decreases or remains the
> same, nowhere have you actually described what all these things are that
> must be equal for a higher BCHR to always be better.

> Oh you've made a lot of claims, but you haven't actually addressed and
> justified them.
>

> Go on Bob, answer the questions, dare ya !!

I will wait unitl you get into an objective mindset, or am I being too optimistic.

> If you can ...

> Oh and Bob, humour me if you would. You don't by any chance routinely
> rebuild all your indexes to make your databases run heaps faster you ? You
> strike me as the kinda guy who rebuilds indexes that have a height greater
> than 3 or have more than 20% deleted space.
>

> Do you ?

Wow, we are talking about indexes now. Any other distractions? Maybe we can talk about response time again.
I am sensing more frustration than rationality here. Received on Wed Aug 29 2007 - 22:12:23 CDT