Re: what characterset to use?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:57:25 +0200

On 29 Aug 2007 08:03:45 GMT, Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid> wrote:

>I agree with you that reading what you quoted from Oracle documentation
>sounds like they are all FOR having database character set and client
>character set identical. And true, other parts read like they are dead
>against it.

NONSENSE, UTTER NONSENSE. ORACLE STATES DATABASE CHARACTERSET SHOULD MATCH O/S CHARACTERSET

>The truth of the matter is that there is no 100% correct solution without
>drawbacks. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons.
>
>What speaks for having client and server use the same encoding,
>e.g. WE8MSWIN1252:
>
>- No conversion overhead.
>
>What speaks against it:
>
>- No check if valid bytes are entered (can lead to garbage in database).
AGAIN NONSENSE. THERE WON'T BE ANY 'GARBAGE' IN THE DATABASE!!!
>- You can only store Windows-1252 characters in the database.
>

>I don't know, but I guess that conversion on characters in messages between
>client and server will not be the performance bottleneck of your database;
>usually it is disk I/O.
>
>Ask yourself questions like:
>
>- Is there a chance that, at some point, outlandish characters should be
> stored in a text field that was not originally designed for it?
>
>- Can I be absolutely sure that no client will attempt to store characters
> in a wrong encoding (e.g., you have to import table data from a
> different company)?

PROVIDED THE CLIENT CHARACTERSET DURING IMPORT WAS SET CORRECTLY, THAT DATA IS GOING TO BE C O N V E R T E D AUTOMATICALLY!!!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA