Re: Automatic versioning of records to maintain a history

From: Matthew Williams <matthew.d.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:22:46 -0000

On Aug 28, 2:40 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 1:17 pm, Matthew Williams <matthew.d.willi..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the help. If I could write this as a Rails app I most
> > certainly would (with Oracle on the back end) but with the environment
> > I'm in right now I'm restricted to the Oracle development tools.
>
> > I'm certainly capable of making the other table and writing the
> > triggers, but if I can shave development time from this task I would
> > prefer to do so.
>
> > I'll give that site you gave me a look, I still might be able to find
> > a thing or two to help with this task.
>
> > Take care
> > -Matthew Williams
>
> > On Aug 28, 2:04 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:

> > > Then write a Ruby on Rails app so, wham, you're all set. Otherwise
> > > resign yourself to the 'tedium' of learning how to write triggers to
> > > populate history tables. It isn't rocket science. A copy of your
> > > source table, with some 'bookkeeping' columns added (such as proc_dt,
> > > vers_no, user_id, action) is the starting point; a before insert or
> > > update or delete trigger is the next step. I would visit:
>
> > >http://tahiti.oracle.com
>
> > > and search the relevant documentation for triggers and learn how such
> > > things are written. Should you have trouble you can post the code
> > > you've written and we can assist in fixing the errant sections.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell- Hide quoted text -

> 'Shaving development time' is one thing, having other people do your
> work for you under the GUISE of 'shaving development time' is another.
>
> I have no problem assisting you with this task, but I will not write
> it for you. The online documentation is an excellent source for the
> information you need. After you get started writing this if you still
> have problems post again and I will be happy to assist you.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Nope, no troubles. Nor am I looking for someone to write this for me. I'm working on it as we speak in fact. I was just looking to see if there were any capabilities of 10g that I could set a table to automatically have it maintain history. Or any prebuilt frameworks. (like the acts_as_version plugin for Rails which I was using as an example).

I'm big into Open Source, I try to implement code re-use wherever I can. Would be a waste to reinvent the wheel if there was a script to automate the task I'm up against already out there floating around. Time is money.

Take care. Received on Tue Aug 28 2007 - 14:22:46 CDT