Re: ora-00354

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:05:03 -0700

On Aug 28, 8:26 am, Faraz <sarfarazla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 5:38 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:30:49 -0700, Faraz <sarfarazla..._at_gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >Hi All,
>
> > >I have a produciton environment with data guard configuration which
> > >for little while pops out ORA-00354 - corrupt redo log block.
> > >upuntil today it was resolving itself with out any problems from the
> > >multiplex copy. but today after the error thre is a redo log missing
> > >on the dr system.
> > >Does copying redo log to standby database archive destination manually
> > >and try to resolve the gap in applied logs is a good idea??
>
> > >thanks for the help
>
> > IMO this is a rhetorical question.
> > The obvious answer is NO.
> > Especially as you state this is a *production* environment.
> > *Manual* Dataguard (as you seem to discuss) on a *production*
> > environment are two incompatible things, unless you have a trained
> > monkey who for a few bananas ships your archives and applies them.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Thanks Bakker,
>
> Well NO part is obvious as you say. How about some insight to resolve
> the issue?
> Although, moving log from production to standby database *MANUALLY*
> and then regestering it on standby database seems logical.
> - stop the recover process
> -copy and regester the redo log manulay
> start the redo apply. IT should apply the log and resolve the gap.
> in my openion it shold work but as i have this issue in production i
> was looking for your input / experties who possibly encountered this/
> similar situation and resolved it.
>
> again thanks for the post.- Hide quoted text -

Not if you copy the redo log. The automated process involves the archivelogs and if you have corrupted redo logs then you need to investigate why this is occurring as it's a source problem, not a destination problem. Apparently you're having disk issues and possibly need to consider replacing the errant device. Or you're having memory issues and this is corrupting every copy of your redo logs and thus affecting your standby.

I'd be seriously investigating this as you could lose your production database, and you'd be left with a standby which may be unusable.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Aug 28 2007 - 09:05:03 CDT