Re: HP Data protector and Oracle hot backups without RMAN

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:30:09 -0700

On Aug 27, 11:13 am, Massa Batheli <mng..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Oracle 10G ... Hp Unix 11.11
>
> Need help backing up data files and archived redo log files using HP
> DataProtector.
>
> While backing up the files the pre and the post enables me to copy
> the datafiles but is there a way or command that could be used to
> copy the archived redo log files after the files are copied and a
> log is switched that will ensure the information is written to the
> same tape.
> HP could be of help but sometimes faster and accurate help is got from
> here .
> (Notw Without necessarily utilizing RMAN)
>
> Mike

Well the pre and post can just kick off any unix script(s) that you like.

After you have "done the copying without RMAN" then just have some scripts that do what you want.

For example, invoke sqlplus to have oracle switch logs. Put in some sleeps if you need to. Create a list of files that need to be backed up ( the archive logs ) ( do this in the pre in other words ).

Have the backup step read the list of files. Put cleanup required in the post.

Can you do all this? Certainly you can.

Should you be doing this? Data Protector has a pretty good interface with RMAN although it takes a fair amount of time navigating through some of the peculiarities (sp?).

Not using RMAN and doing it all the old fashioned way? Why exactly do you want to consider going down that approach? Received on Mon Aug 27 2007 - 16:30:09 CDT