Re: Oracle vs MySql Performance

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:09:10 -0000

I'm working with DB Backed Jena that is native to MySql. Oracle and MySql are both installed on this linux box and also in Windows. While not by miles, Oracle does outperform MySql in every case. I have extensive tests charted in excel to show this. Since this is a 3rd party open-source app, there is little to optimize. The killer in jena is that it makes many thousands of calls to the database for very little return. The performance issue I see is not in the database, but that the app is doing tens of thousands of things very fast for very little return.

What I've found is that MySql runs slightly faster out of the box for un-indexed scans. But once indexed, Oracle bests MySql with as example a 3 second query dropping to one millisecond where as MySql was slightly less than one second with the index. It also highly depends on the MySql db format. InnoDB is very good out of the box.

The key, this is the environment were I work and every environment is singular, so don't expect the same results. They only way to know is to test.