Re: Equivalent of Oracle's export/import in sql server

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:28:03 -0500

k.rajenderen_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I'm new to Oracle DBA . Is it is recommended to study SQL Server along
> with Oracle.Please don't ignore this mail as it is more vital for me
> also like to all those like me.just reply me all ur suggestions as i'm
> waiting for that.Plz reply
>
> Rajenderenk

Many DBAs end up learning more than one RDBMS because their company uses more than one RDBMS. I would not say a blanket statement like "Oracle DBAs should learn SQL Server" or "SQL Server DBAs should learn DB2". What does your company use? In my case, my employer has implemented lots of Oracle, SQL Server, and mySQL. Unfortunately, we even have MS Access (although not a true RDBMS) in use which I often get called on to lend a hand.

I would highly recommend learning Relational Database Theory. Take time to learn the theory behind how database systems work. From there, learn how to apply that theory in practice. I went to college and learned quite a bit of how databases are supposed to work. When I got a job as an Oracle DBA, I spent time learning how Oracle works keeping in mind that theory. When I was asked to manage SQL Server, I was able to pick up SQL Server quite easily by knowing....here is the theory...here is how Oracle does it...oh look...here is how SQL Server does a similar implementation. I realize that is a generic statement and there are places where things don't easily match up to that statement. But when learning a new system, that type of approach has served me well. I've never worked with DB2 yet. But I would think that knowing database theory would help me pick up DB2. Oracle and SQL Server handle their transaction logs quite differently, but theory states that there will be transactions logged to some facility. I would be willing to be that DB2 has some facility to do the same. I would just need to know how DB2 handles this same concept.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net