Re: Equivalent of Oracle's export/import in sql server

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:45:03 -0700

On Aug 26, 2:12 pm, "Tony Rogerson" <tonyroger..._at_torver.net> wrote:
> Your question was answer already here by Tibor:http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/br...
>
> But for the sake of clarity...
>
> Open Enterprise Manager.
>
> Click your server
>
> Click Data Transformation Services
>
> Right click Local Packages, New Package
>
> From the left tool bar, under Task, select 'Copy SQL Server Objects Task',
> it's the icon that has two boxes with a red arrow connecting one to the
> other.
>
> On the Source tab, select your source server and database
>
> On the Destination tab select your destination server and database
>
> On the copy tab select the objects to copy, by default 'All objects' is
> selected.
>
> Click OK
>
> Execute the package
>
> Save the package if you want to redo the excercise.
>
> The Options button gives you various options.
>
> --
> Tony Rogerson, SQL Server MVPhttp://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/tonyrogerson
> [Ramblings from the field from a SQL consultant]http://sqlserverfaq.com
> [UK SQL User Community]
>
> <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >I am an Oracle DBA learning SQL Server 2000. I used DTS as well as bcp
> > export/improt data. However, they work one table at a time. I want
> > export all
> > the tables/views/stored procedure etc inside a database (i.e.,
> > Northwind)
> > and then drop Northwind, and then import the entire database
> > Northwind.
>
> > I looked at DTS Wizard. Is there any way to export all the
> > tables/views/packages etc using one "command", is answer no?. I find
> > DTS is table based, so
> > it only exports schema of a table and its data. How about views? I
> > want to
> > export all the tables at the same time and then selectively import.
> > Oracle
> > lets you do that, but cannot find this in sqlserver (I do not want to
> > copy the entire database from one sql server to another, only copy
> > information in a file and then selectively restore from it).
>
> > I looked at backup/restore. Backup kets you backup entire database,
> > but there is no way to restore just a table from this backup.
>
> > Really appreciate if you can point me in the right direction how to do
> > this in sql server 2000.
>
> > I posted this question in sql server forums, did not get a
> > satisfactory answer, so trying in this Oracle forum.- Hide quoted text -

I did look at that, but this is not what I want. DTS lets you copy from One SQL Server instance1/database1 to another instance2/ databse2. instance 2 can be same as instance1, It does let you select schema objects to transfer. What I am looking is to save output of instance1/database1 in a file and then later transfer it (some objects from it) to instance2/database2. So the part of saving information to a file is missing.

Thanks a lot for your reply though. Received on Sun Aug 26 2007 - 13:45:03 CDT