Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:51:09 -0700

William Robertson wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2:17 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> NULL <> NULL, but '' = '', if that would help.
>> The length of NULL is NULL again.

> If we had a '' in Oracle then its length would be 0, but we don't,
> which is the subject of this thread. I was hoping someone could
> provide an example of non-null '' being a useful value.

You won't find one. What you will find is that people who have it as an option create designs that use it. Those that don't have it as an option don't. In the end you only have three values, NULL, 0 and > 0. There are a nearly unlimited ways to code this in any language and in any tool.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington