Re: Equivalent of Oracle's export/import in sql server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:44:44 -0700

k.rajenderen_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hai,
>
> I'm new to Oracle DBA . Is it is recommended to study SQL Server along
> with Oracle.Please don't ignore this mail as it is more vital for me
> also like to all those like me.just reply me all ur suggestions as i'm
> waiting for that.Plz reply
>
> Rajenderenk

The differences between SQL Server and Oracle are bigger than the similarities if you are a DBA. Whichever one you choose to study devote a minimum of 3-5 years before going to the other else you will likely find yourself with mediocre skills on both.

SQL Server has no direct equivalent to Oracle's export/import or, better yet, DataPump.

 From my experience, in this part of the world, there is no place for a Junior DBA. There are developers who become DBAs but no one is looking for someone wanting to jump into Oracle as a DBA. Be sure of the situation in your area ... generally becoming a developer first, and a good one, is the best approach.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington