Re: Equivalent of Oracle's export/import in sql server

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:40:06 -0700

On Aug 26, 4:26 am, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi..._at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > This is similar to transportable tablespaces in Oracle, not export/
> > import,
>
> the direct equivalent is the bcp utility. (bulk copy). It's documented
> in books online.
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBAhttp://www.orawin.info/services

Problem with bcp is that it works only one table at a time, so yes if you are doing exp/imp one table at a time, bcp is the equivalent. After doing lot of research, it appears that there is no equivalent of exp/imp or expdp/impdb in SQL Server 2000. Closet one can get is the backup command which will backup one sql server database (schema/user in oracle), and then you can restore the database in its entirety or do a partial restore (which is restoring contents in a file/filegroup - tablespace in Oracle).
I am not saying that this is a shortcoming of sqlserver in anyway, It is just that if one is used to Oracle's exp/imp or expdb/impdb, one will not find all its features in sql sever 2000 as far as I know. Received on Sun Aug 26 2007 - 09:40:06 CDT