Re: Oracle vs MySql Performance

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2007 19:48:25 GMT

bchorng_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> We run both Oracle and MySQL. I don't know why you expected Oracle to
> be faster.
> It is just the opposite. For pure query, MySQL is much cheaper and
> thus faster.
> It only uses 40% of the CPU cost of Oracle for the same query.
> Therefore, for the
> same box, running the same set of tables with the same queries, MySQL
> can
> handle twice the workload.
>
> The reason is simple. MySQL is just a barebone Oracle. It has no
> consistent read,

True at least for the default engine.

> no latch (thus no contention),

It has latches, just of a different nature than Oracle's.

> no recovery ability,

That depends on how you configure it.

> no parse,

Hunh? What is it that it doesn't parse?

> no data
> integrity

Maybe, depending on how you configure it.

> and
> even no index - everything is IOT,

Absolutely not true. Mysql certainly does have indexes, but as far as I know it does not have anything equivalent to IOT.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB