Storage Allocation Question

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:56:56 -0400

Oracle 10g R 10.2.0.3, Windows 2003 Server

I know if I have a VARCHAR2(50) column and I update it from a 15 character string to 25 character string that I'll use more storage space in the data blocks.

If I have a NUMERIC(10) column and I update it from a 0 value to a non-zero value will that use more storage space or will the allocation for it being NUMERIC(10) already have the storage space allocated?

Thanks.

P.S.: What is it with all these MI5 posts? Received on Sat Aug 25 2007 - 13:56:56 CDT